|Game(s)||Alone in the Dark|
Ghouls have an appetite for human flesh, a fact made useful in the Dining Hall. There are three variants of ghouls, which can by determined by their outfit:
- Red Ghouls are the common type. They are killed by seven punches.
- Yellow Ghouls are stronger, taking ten hits to kill, but only one is ever encountered on the third floor of Derceto Manor.
- The third type is the Pirate Ghoul, the reanimated corpse of Ezechiel Pregzt. The Pirate Ghoul is encountered in the Drawing Room as a Midboss.
Events of Alone in the DarkEdit
Ghouls are the most common enemy the player encounters in Alone in the Dark. They appear throughout the game as part of scripted sequences and attack the player.
Ghouls have a longer reach in comparison to other enemies. They can safely hit the player without getting punched back. It is best to employ kicks against the Ghouls as the player's kicking range is longer than a Ghoul's punch.
One effective combo against Ghouls is to kick, then quickly run at them while they are recovering and start punching. As soon as the Ghoul recovers, kick again.
- Though they are referred to as zombies in game, they exhibit traits more associated with Ghouls. Their skin is pale, and they sit when the Pot of Soup is served. If they were zombies, they would ignore the food and attack the player.
- The term Zombie did not come into western language until the late 1920s, after the game takes place. Because of the references to Voodoo in-game, they may be traditional Haitian 'Zombis', which are slaves to powerful magicians.
- Ghouls exist in H.P. Lovecraft's works. They are subterranean creatures that can navigate between the real world and the dream world. They live in cemeteries and eat the flesh of the dead, despite the fact that they themselves are formerly living humans. Unlike Ghouls in AitD, Lovecraft's ghouls have more canine features.
- All zombie models that appear in the game are the same, except one that attacks the player in the second-floor hallway. This zombie is slightly smaller than the others, dressed in yellow garments and is little stronger than its regular counterparts.
- If Carnby or Emily are killed during the game, a movie will show a zombie bring the character's body at the altar from before Pregzt in the basement, confirming that these creatures are his slaves.
- In the dining room, if you kill a zombie and, soon, she rests the pot of soup on the table, his body will not disappear.
-In the video game of 2017, 2Dark , also designed by Frédérick Raynal, is one of the zombies of Alone in the Dark as an attraction at an amusement park.
- In movies to Atari's internal advertising Alone in the Dark: One , they used the models of a Humanz of Alone in the Dark: Inferno in place of zombies.
|Alone in the Dark I|
|Characters||Edward Carnby · Emily Hartwood · Ezechiel Pregzt · Jeremy Hartwood|
|Creatures/Enemies||Ghoul · Zombie Chicken · Spiders · Rats · Cave monster · Bathtub Monster · Flying Creatures · Smoke Spectre · Deep Ones · Nightgaunts · Vagabond · Ghosts · Animated Armor · Animated Portraits · Cthonian|
|Misc||Derceto · Items · Documents · Weapons|