|Location(s)||Derceto, Stair Well (3rd Floor)|
|Game(s)||Alone in the Dark (1992)|
When the player reaches the stairs, there are two Nightgaunts guarding either staircase. The player needs to banish them before being able to proceed downstairs.
The Nightgaunts cannot be killed, but must be banished. The player must find two small mirrors and place them in the hands of the Cherub Statues near the double staircase.
Nightgaunts will attack if they are approached, both by swinging their arms and tail. Both of these attacks have a special ability that destroys small mirrors. If the mirrors are destroyed, there will be no replacement, and the game will become unwinnable. Do not approach the Nightgaunts.
After one mirror is placed, the corresponding Nightgaunt will panic. When both mirrors are placed, the Nightgaunts will collapse and vanish.
- Nightgaunts are taken from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, though Lovecraft's Nightgaunts do not make noise.
- Though the Nightgaunts in-game cannot be killed, if they are shot, they will bleed.
- How many other creatures also appeared in the game Nightgaunts are excerpts from the stories of HP Lovecraft , in particular the novel The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath , where, however, never emit any direction.
- along the spectra of the paintings, the armor Spectrum and Ezechiel Pregzt , the Nightgaunts are the only enemies that must be defeated obliged to proceed in the game.
- In the gameplay video Alone in the Dark: One of the Nightgaunts are missing, replaced by three demonic statues (similarin appearance to Deep Ones) on which are placed stones. It is unclear whether it would be able to meet in some other location.
|Alone in the Dark I|
|Characters||Edward Carnby · Emily Hartwood · Ezechiel Pregzt · Jeremy Hartwood|
|Creatures/Enemies||Ghoul · Zombie Chicken · Spiders · Rats · Cave monster · Bathtub Monster · Flying Creatures · Smoke Spectre · Deep Ones · Nightgaunts · Vagabond · Ghosts · Animated Armor · Animated Portraits · Cthonian|
|Misc||Derceto · Items · Documents · Weapons|